Willow Class is our Pre-School which opened in September 2016. We offer a fun, nurturing environment focused on play, and follow our children's needs and interests to plan exciting, challenging stimulating activities for all. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com if you would like more information about our availability...
Welcome to Willow Class!
Meet the team...
- Pre-School starts at 8:40am, and the morning session ends at 11:50am. The full-day ends at 3:15pm. Pick up and drop off is from the yellow gate by our outdoor EYFS area. Parents are to wear masks for pick up and drop off.
- We have PE on Monday mornings - Please come to school dressed in your PE kit.
- We teach Phonics daily, as well as Helicopter Stories or Wonderful Words.
- We learn about RE once a week.
- Mrs Deighton covers for Miss Eastham on Thursday afternoons (PPA).
- Each member of staff in EYFS has their own key person group, getting together daily to build relationships, encourage confidence and independence through a range of activities and/or circle time.
- You will need to bring in a water bottle, wellies, and waterproofs (named). We go outside whatever the weather!
- On Wednesday afternoons, we have 'Welly Wednesday's' where we have lots of fun in our on-site mud-kitchen.
Within the EYFS Unit, we have 2 classes Willow Class (Pre-School) and Ash Class (Reception). The children are able to access both classrooms throughout the day, with each classroom offering different areas. In Willow Class, we have a home corner, malleable area, cosy corner, funky fingers area, small world area, painting area, and a construction area. Each area supports children's learning and development within the 7 EYFS areas, and is enhanced weekly. Here are some pictures of the areas in Willow Class.
Introducing 'Helicopter Stories'
Helicopter Stories is an Early Years approach to Communication and Literacy skills based on the Storytelling and Story Acting curriculum. In its simplest form, Helicopter Stories lets children dictate their stories which are written down verbatim, exactly as they are told, by an EYFS teacher. The children then gather around a taped out stage and the stories are acted out. Alongside the simplicity of this approach is an ethos that is child-centred, creating a culture of curiosity and wonder at the dexterity of children’s imaginings during both the telling and the acting out of their stories.
This holistic approach uses the power of storytelling to develop key curriculum areas such as creativity, communication and language, personal, social and emotional skills in the Early Years classroom, giving children's stories a voice in a safe space.
- An inclusive, whole-class approach which values every child’s contribution;
- Facilitates high levels of engagement;
- Creates confidence and self-assurance;
- Supports the development of speaking skills as children express and share their ideas;
- Helps to develop accurate, active listening skills and understanding;
- Supports co-operative and collaborative and creative learning;
- Develops positive relationships within a shared storytelling experience;
- Allows children to explore early literacy and the power of words as they see their stories come to life, and develop their ability to use and adapt language to communicate;
- Offers children a bridge into the world of creative writing as they begin to see the links between the oral stories they compose and the words on a page.
The EYFS unit (Pre-School and Reception) share topics and plan as a team, as all children free-flow and share the two classrooms and outdoor area. Please click on the topics below to see our plans for current or past topics this year.
Our Topics this year are...
- All About Me (Transition - 2 weeks)
- Fairytales / Traditional Tales
- Things that Grow
- All around the World
Whilst our topics stay the same each year, our planning centres around the children's interests and the themed books change every year for three years. This ensures that the children who are within our EYFS unit over the maximum 3 year period have access to different learning opportunities each year.
Please see previous years medium term planning below:
|Year 1 (2017-2018)||Year 2 (2018 - 2019)||Year 3 (2019 - 2020)|
|All About Me (Transition)||All About Me (Transition)||All About Me (Transition)|
|Fairytales/Traditional Tales||Fairytales/Traditional Tales||Fairytales/Traditional Tales|
|Things That Grow||Things That Grow||Things That Grow|
|All Around the World||All Around the World||All Around the World|
Our current newsletter...
Please contact me if you have any queries on: